Over the course of the last 30 years, the video game industry has quickly grown into a colossus of entertainment. When you look at profits alone, video games make twice as much money as movies and music combined every single year.
And while in the world of academia and history they are still considered toys, games are borrowing from actual history more and more.
Without the study of history, humanity would be hard-pressed when answering certain questions about our past. Therefore, it comes as no surprise that more and more entertainment avenues want to explore history as much as possible.
Whether you are a history buff or not, a game that takes place in historic times has a certain appeal that cannot be denied. Everyone has heard about some of the most famous historical figures and it is exciting to see them in action during gameplay.
Mythology itself is even more attractive to most people who have a passion for the past. While these stories are obviously not real, something about mythological gods and creatures sparks our imaginations and gives historical fact a more idyllic nature. Fantasy is no longer a niche product, becoming a staple of modern entertainment.
History in Entertainment
Since the dawn of cinema, movies have repeatedly explored the intricacies of historical facts. Throughout the 20th century, some of the most successful box office movies have taken inspiration from historical events. Here are just some of the biggest names:
- Darkest Hour
The video games industry has also had many successful entries when it comes to historical games. Especially in its infancy when technology was still limited, a historical setting would offer players an immersive experience.
Mythology has also been thrown around in the gaming world extensively over the years. Sometimes history and mythology are intertwined to offer an original experience that takes cues from both to create a fantastical world that is also somewhat grounded.
While at first most of these games were limited by poor graphics and mechanics, slowly but surely, they evolved and can nowadays bring astonishing detail to their game world. Gamers are attracted to the fact that they are also learning something palpable about history while playing a game.
History-Based Video Games
You do not have to look far to find a video game that uses history or mythology to create its world. Here are some of the biggest names in the industry that take inspiration from either of them.
Many gaming providers take inspiration from historical events and incorporate the themes into their games.
- God of War – You play as Kratos, a spartan betrayed by the gods who himself becomes the god of war and swears to end the rule of all gods throughout ancient Greece. The series has evolved over the years, and the latest iteration is set in Norse mythology.
- Age of Empires – We could not discuss history without addressing one of the most groundbreaking real-time strategies ever. Take control of your own civilization and see them rise to success throughout historically accurate ages.
- SMITE – A game that heavily relies on mythology in a MOBA setting. Choose your favorite mythological god from multiple pantheons and lay waste to your enemies in multiple game modes.
- Assassin’s Creed – Here we have a series that merges Sci-fi with history and mythology to create an amazingly immersive experience. Take control of various assassin’s throughout time and unravel the mysteries of your ancestors. The game’s newest installation takes place in Valhalla, a mythical land where Valkyries train and study to take on their destined roles as powerful warriors.
- Hades – Take control of Zagreus, son of Hades in your efforts to escape the Underworld. This game is a blast and if you are a fan of Greek mythology the world-building will leave you speechless.
History and Gambling
The gambling world has always taken inspiration from various facets of real life to create attractive slot machines. This is especially true for online casinos that are always looking for new and exciting settings for their slot games.
For example, Wink Slots are one of the most successful companies to take inspiration from mythology and create highly immersive slot machines. If you choose to play eye of horus you will be submerged into the world of the Ancient Egyptians where reels include multicolored beetles and birds as well as decorated with Egyptian symbols.
People tend to be attracted to things that already seem familiar to them. We all want entertainment that also challenges us on an intellectual level. This is why slot machines that take inspiration from history or mythology have proven to be very successful over the years.
Gambling operators are becoming more and more aware that people want more from their games than ever before. The standards of quality are increasing every year and you have to come out swinging if you want to pull ahead of your competition.
A lot of gambling providers incorporate Greek Mythology into their games, like online slots.
So, if you are wondering why more and more of the entertainment market is going back into the past to bring us stories, look no further than the success of the games mentioned above. None of them would be here without taking inspiration from history or myth.
Whether you prefer sieging castles during the Middle Ages or storming the beaches of Normandy during World War 2, there is a game out there for you. Train your spirit of adventure and keep searching for the perfect game!